On the Southern coast of Sumatra where english is hardly spoken nor understood as tourists are not usually seen in these areas & more often than not surfers become an attraction for the locals, who, while sometimes are shy, are friendly, helpful and very curious about strangers.
You'll need to be a fairly competent surfer, and be prepared to paddle out to some pretty much unknown breaks. The waves are generally from 1½ m and there are a few long paddles
SUrF TRaVeL ONLiNe respects the location & the surfers out there enjoying it so for the benefit of all concerned we will not list details of the exact area or of the waves in the area but rather encourage you to be part of the surf adventure & be rewarded with great waves & no crowds!
Difficulty: medium to high
Danger factor: medium to high
Barrel factor: medium
You will be picked up from Jakarta Airport by SUrF TRaVeL ONLiNe representatives, and after an overnight stay you depart next morning for Sumatra.
This is a remote tropical location where long surf sessions and coral reef walks are part of the deal. You should be fully prepared for sun exposure, small cuts and scrapes, muscle aches and tweaks and minor dings and fractures in your quiver. You should also take protection against insects. The water is warm and wetsuits are not necessary, but you might choose to take a lightweight, short-sleeve suit for reef protection.
1) Powerful sunscreen, anti-UV rash vest, sunburn relief gel, cap or helmet (optional)
2) Rreef walkers/hard-soled wetsuit boots, plus a carry pack to stash them in once you're across the reef and in the surf
3) Easy-to-use ding repair kit with UV-curing resin
4) Small medical kit including antibacterial wash (Betadine), antibacterial powder, minor protective bandaging, painkiller and anti-inflammatory effective tropical insect repellent
5) Small flashlight all the wax and wax combs you need, plus a couple extra for dumb friends who forget them